Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Don't Look In The Closet

For those of you that care, I managed to get a review in this last Sunday. If you want to read my thoughts on The Purge: Anarchy, then click on the link. I jumped right into my next movie Monday, I watched The Number 23, but decided not to review it after I watched it. I had actually watched it before, but didn't remember a lot about it. Since it was more of a murder mystery thriller, I didn't think it would fit in too much here. Not that I had a lot to say about it anyway. So yesterday I watched Boogeyman (2005). I will be watching the whole series, with two more to go, but probably won't watch them all in a row.

Tim (Barry Watson) was a young child when he saw his father disappear in a closet. Tim had been telling his dad about the bogyman, when something grabbed his father. His mom says that his dad walked out on them though. Fifteen years later, Tim is still afraid of closets, well, dark closets anyway. His girlfriend Jessica (Tory Mussett) has invited him to meet her family. The first night there, he has a nightmare about his mother. He gets a call from his uncle to tell him that his mother has passed away. Tim heads back home for the funeral, and take possession of the family home. While at the old house, his childhood friend Kate (Emily Deschanel), who got dumped by her horse by the house. Tim soon discovers that his bogeyman could very well still be around.

Boogeyman gets a pretty bad rap. It has a below average rating on IMDb and gets trashed on the forum board for it. This is another film that I have watched already, but since I wanted to review the other two films, I decided to go ahead and watch this one again as well, since I had yet to do a review for it. When I first watched it, I wasn't thrilled by it, but I found it to be fairly good. I still feel the same way about it now. It wasn't a great film by any means, but no where near as bad as people on IMDb make it out to be. Even after a second watch, could be more that that actually, I still found it had some tension in the story. It kept me interested in it, even if there were parts that put me off somewhat. The story by Eric Kripke, along with a couple of other writers on the screenplay, feels a little disjointed at times which makes it hard to follow. I also felt that director Stephen Kay relied too much on CGI for the bad guy. Someone on IMDb said that they talked to Kripke at a convention, and according to the person who talked to him, Kripke blames the fans for not understanding the story. In a way, Boogeyman tries to play things as if it is all in Tim's mind, at least the bogeyman. If you watch it with that in mind, in a way it does make sense. However, if that is the case, then there are things about the film that no longer make sense. Tim meets a girl with whom he learns how to possibly beat the bogeyman. And then there is a scene after the credits that makes one think the events are about to happen again but with someone else. In case you are wondering, Kripke says the bogeyman isn't real. Since the film doesn't hint otherwise, I'm not so sure.

There wasn't much for gory special effects here. A little blood in a couple of scenes, but nothing major. The effects were mostly CGI effects for said bogeyman. While they weren't really bad, I just didn't care for how he was made to look. Even though Andrew Glover is credited as playing the part, it was rare for the bogeyman to look all that human. The acting wasn't all that bad. It was cool to see Emily Deschanel in something other than her show Bones. Barry Watson does a good job in the lead role as well. Lucy Lawless shows up as well, but only for a few scenes. I rather liked Skye McCole Bartusiak as the girl who helps Tim somewhat. As I was looking to see what she has been in recently, I discovered some sad news about her. Skye passed away July 19th of this year at the age of 21.

As I said before, I didn't think real highly of this film. Even so, I don't see how it is our fault if we didn't get the intention of the film. Apparently someone didn't get the memo since two other films have been made. Just from reading posts in the forum for this film, they seem to tie into this one a little bit at least. It might be interesting to see where the other films take the concept. As for Boogeyman, if you haven't watched it yet, I will leave the review to help you decide if it is for you or not. I am curious to see what others think happen in the film. Is the bogeyman real or not? Let me know!
3 out of 5 No bogeyman in my closets!

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Dude, I literally just got done watching the trilogy today! What a coincidence. I'll be reviewing them all in a couple of weeks.

Heather Santrous said...

Couple of weeks? You wait that long to write up a review?

Aaron said...

No, I just have other reviews already scheduled. I'm reviewing movies every day until September so I'm trying to get done way before then.