Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Time For Some Fish People

I was going to get around ten reviews in for last month. I would have had it to if it wasn't for those pesky kids and their dog! Oh wait, that is for mysteries. The reason I didn't get my ten reviews in is no mystery though. I thought I just had one movie to watch over two days, so I didn't watch one Wednesday night. As it turned out, there was two movies I wanted to watch before they were taken out of instant watch, so last night I ended up watching them both, which left no time to write up a review. On the plus side, I have this book review and two movie reviews to get through now. Hopefully a good start for the month.

One again I finished another book by Michael West. This is the last book of his that I have, so it will be time to move on to another author, for a little while at least. Poseidon's Children is the first of four books in Michael West's new series The Legacy Of The Gods. I skipped over this one so I could read Spook House, not knowing they tied together in some ways. Spook House is not part of this series, but one character does cross over. I thought there was two, but it turns out it is just one.

As Poseidon's Children opens, we meet a young couple who are on vacation in a small island town of Colonial Bay. While out late, enjoying the beach and ocean while no one else is around, they get attacked by something in the water. Hearing screams Larry, who is also on vacation with Peggy, sees part of the attack. He reports in as a shark attack, but doesn't tell the local Sheriff that he believes a man was there as well. The guy who was killed happened to be the son of Roger Hayes, perhaps the most powerful man, and most likely the most corrupt, in the United States. Thinking someone killed his son to get to him, Roger sets out to find out who, not what, killed his son. Meanwhile, Karl is one of the people who has lived in Colonial Bay all his life. He isn't a very happy person since he blames humans for killing his mother. He also isn't very happy with the residents of Colonial Bay for covering it all up. Lucky for him that some of the others are tired of living a lie as well. What are the people of Colonial Bay? That is where you come in to find out.

While I was finding a picture of the cover, I ran across a blog post that Michael West did on a science fiction blog, that seems to be longer being used. West started to talk about what genre Poseidon's Children falls into. It isn't really a horror novel, although there are times it could be. Same goes for it being science fiction. He, and others, are calling it urban fiction, which I had never heard of before. Whatever genre you want to call it, I'm still doing this review.

I thought that Poseidon's Children was going to be like Spook House as far as the bad guys. While there is some talk about Gods in both books, Poseidon's Children is vastly different. West doesn't say outright, but he uses the ancient alien device to explain some of what goes on. I guess I was expecting the monsters of Colonial Bay to be just that. Instead we are given well rounded characters, even if they can be considered monsters. The people there had been hunted a long time ago and have managed to be forgotten now. They live much like us but they are getting tired of living the lie for so long now. Karl is starting to come around as a leader, but in truth he just wants revenge. Him, along with a few other characters, are more than just the monsters one has come to expect from a horror novel. They are important characters just like Larry and Peggy.

Poseidon's Children is West's first novel, besides short stories, that takes place outside of Indiana. West can't help but throw in the state's name at least once though. If I didn't already know he lives there, thanks to the "About the author" at the end of each book, I would be strongly suspecting that he does by now. Since this book has a lot to do with the lost city of Atlantis, it only makes sense to take the story out of Indiana. The was one of the things that I really enjoyed about this story, the detail to legends. It shoudl be interesting what West does with the next book considering he has already dealt with finding Atlantis, having aliens creating different species and becoming Gods. The very end of the book should leave readers wondering where West will be going next.

Not since The Wide Game has West juggled so many different characters. There isn't really a main character in this book. With the story covering so many different character, it is hard to point to one or two and say the story revolves around them. Larry and Peggy stand out though, probably because they go through the most changes as the story goes on. Larry is the most defined character at least. There are a select few from the town of Colonial Bay that West also throws so focus onto as well. There is Roger Hayes and some of the men he eventually brings in. I think my favorite was Carol, who discovered Atlantis. While not every character gets a lot of detail, West does his best. My only complaint was that I got a little confused keeping track of which character was which of Hayes' men.

Poseidon's Children is different from the other books that have come before it, but it was a good different. I had some trouble getting through the end half of the book, but that was just because I didn't have as much time to read for a while there. West gets completely away from the paranormal with this book. Well....that isn't completely true. There is the ghost, I guess we can call her that, of the girl who was attacked at the start of the book. Maybe it will go somewhere in another book, since it didn't really go anywhere in this story. That was a minor thing though. Since it doesn't tie into his other books, Poseidon's Children would be a good book for people who are looking to give his book a try. I know I really loved it, so if you do give a try, I sure hope you love it just as much.
4 out of 5 What? No mermaids?!?

1 comment:

Jimmy the Saint said...

What? No mermaids?!?



Exactly. How dare he?!?