Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spook Me To Death

For the longest time a post I have over at Top Horror Movies Club was my most popular post. It sits at a little over 3100 views. Nothing on this blog matched that or even came close really. I have no idea why Walled In became that post but it did. Not too long ago though, my tribute to ChloĆ« Grace Moretz became my number one post here. It is now my number one post of all time with over 4,000 views. I'm surprised it did so well, but I'm not going to complain about it. Since then, my number ten spot has changed a few times. I'm surprised by the movie review that is there at the moment since it didn't start well. Anyway, I finished another Michael West book, Spook House. I have one more to go, I believe, and I will be caught up.

There was one other book that I started today that came out before Spook House. I decided to read this book first since it picks up where Cinema Of Shadows left off, well...kinda sorta anyway. In Wide Game Robby was a character that was in the main group that we read about, but wasn't the main character. In Cinema Of Shadows Robby was the only returning character, but again, wasn't the main character. This time Robby, who is an EMT, once again returns and shares the spotlight with Sheri, a new character. Things start off with Sheri and her boyfriend Jeff sitting outside an old farmhouse. As rumor has it, Fuller did unspeakable things there like human sacrifice before his own death which some say was a murder that was never solved. Jeff wanted to prove to Sheri that the house was still there, and now that they are there, Jeff has decided to go into the place. He discovers something glowing in the basement and calls Sheri. As she is talking to him though, Jeff is pulled into the glow that is coming from a crack in the brick, and then something attacks the car that Sheri is still in. She manages to drive this thing off though, which she calls a spider-dog, and meets Robby when he is called to help her. Unknown to them both though, this spider-dog thing is just the start of things to come.

To be honest, I'm still not sure what think of Spook House. I'm not real sure I liked the change in direction that it took. The title and the description on the back makes it sound like it could lean more towards the paranormal, somewhat like the other two books. Instead it takes a turn toward more of a Cthulhu type story, which sounds like the book of his I'm reading now. Even though I just started it, I'm pretty sure characters from it show up in Spook House. Time will tell, but I would put my money on it, if I had any right now. I'm not against this turn, but I have to admit that I have yet to read anything by H.P. Lovecraft, the man that started the whole Cthulhu mythos. At least I know enough about it to know what it is.

I was glad to see that Robby was front and center for once. The only returning character from the last book was Kim's boyfriend, and he has a very small part in this story. While I appreciate that this character showed up, I do wish he had been in the story more. I think a couple of characters from the book of West's that I'm reading now show up as well in the Homeland Security agents. While they hint at things, you don't need to know what happened in it to get their story line in this book. It has made me curious though. Sheri was a welcome new character. I liked that West had her trying to figure out when the right time is to move on from her boyfriend Jeff. Another new character was Officer Hicks. The reason I liked him is because he had a sometimes funny way of dealing with dangerous situations. Each time he was in one he would think about his wife Angie and how she might be told how he died. Some of them was pretty creative.

West also has an interesting bad guy in Cayden. He doesn't really seem like a big deal, but he can be surprising. I liked what he would do in order to see visions from his Gods. Speaking of Gods, while only one gets a lot of story time, West is very good at describing them. To my surprise West even has one of them kill a youngish teenager. Bonus points for that alone! While I may not have liked the new direction completely, West does do a good job keeping things interesting.

I can't really complain a lot. Just because I didn't care for the Cthulhu like story as much as his previous stories, I have to admit that the further into the story I went, the quicker I was reading. Not because I was trying to hurry to get it done, I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. This is part of the reason I am liking Michael West so much, he writes some real page turners. So I might be on the fence somewhat with this one, I still want everyone to try one of these books if they haven't already. Seriously, Michael West is worth it if you like to read. I hope to meet him again someday and score some more of his books.
3 out of 5 Think I will start keeping salt handy for now on

6 comments:

Jonny Metro said...

It's definitely weird how traffic comes in, and where it goes. My number one post is my review of HUMAN CENTIPEDE, standing at an astounding (to me) 42,413 views.

My second most popular post is about 37,000 views BELOW that. That's quite a drop.

I just don't get it.

--J/Metro

Heather Santrous said...

Yes it can be weird which ones get all the views. I almost feel jealous with your one post getting that many views. I don't even have double that for my entire blog!

Jimmy the Saint said...

Have any idea how the traffic comes in? From other blogs? Searching via Teh Google?

jervaise brooke hamster said...

I keep being drawn back to this site, (a), because the reveiws here are very good, and (b), because the site is run by one of the hottest chicks i`ve ever seen.

Heather Santrous said...

Jimmy: Right now most of it is coming through Google. It can vary though. Sometimes a lot of it will come through other blogs.

Jervaise: Thank you

Zombiedawn said...

Aw, how sweet! You know, I haven't heard of these books. I love a series!