Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Riding The Train For The Dead

I seem to be saying sorry for not having a review sooner all year so far. I do have a good reason though. Last week, more so the last three days of the week, was super busy for me at work. On top of that, I only got three hours sleep Thursday night. I have been tired ever since. I did get a movie in though, which means that after this post I will have a very special one coming. The only real question will be: when in the hell will I get around to it?!? At this rate it might as well be next year. Hopefully it will be sooner though. Anyway, I had a couple of movies being taken out of instant watch this week. I only got Train Of The Dead (2007) watched though.

A small gang has decided to rob a kindergarten. I didn't know they kept a lot of money there, but it's a horror film from Thailand so maybe they do things different there. Anyway, they make their getaway but one member, June (Yarichada Wattanawongsri), get injured and is left behind. With the rest of the gang fighting in the getaway van, they manage to hit someone and crash into a building. To (Kett Thantup), who happened to be in the building, is taken hostage in order to get by the police that is still after the gang. They make their way onto a train and it pulls away before the police are able to find them. After some time, they begin to hear voices and decide to investigate. They find a train load of people having a good time. Joke (Sura Theerakon), the leader of the little gang, decides that they will robe everyone on the train. Little do they know though that the people on the train aren't as the seem. As you can tell from the title, the people who was already on the train are dead.

Train Of The Dead is an odd film. Not odd in the "I don't really get it" way, but more in the it can't make up its mind what it is way. Two of the characters I didn't bring up was Ake (Warot Pitakanonda) and Rathree (Savika Chaiyadej). I bring them up now because they make a good example of what I meant. Ake is supposed to be a transvestite who is always laughing and joking around. This could just be his way of dealing with the situation they are in, but it was hard to take the guy serious at any point in the film. Then there is Rathree, a passenger on the train who wants to help our main character To. Rathree is always serious, along with To but he has a good reason to be with being held hostage and all. There is a middle ground at times, but the whole film just felt like it couldn't make its mind if it wanted to more of a comedy or more of a serious horror film. I don't know if the original title translates into Train Of The Dead, but the English title gives away the big surprise that everyone there is dead. The only thing left to figure out is if the gang and To are dead as well. There was some okay twists along the way, but in the end I just didn't care anymore.

Part of not caring anymore had to do with the special effects. There was a couple of places where the gore effects were outstanding. These mostly had to do with one character during a time when he was taking drugs. Those were the only ones though and they happen somewhat late in the film. Before that, and especially after, there are some very poor effects when it comes to the train itself. Now and then there are some shots from outside the train and these kill the film. It doesn't help that a big fight scene takes place on top of the train, which just highlights the bad effects even more. The acting seemed to be fine, but I was getting rather annoyed by some of the characters just because of the way they were acting.

I kind of thought that Train Of The Dead was a bust from the start. It wasn't all that hard to follow as far as the plot went, but the title just gives too much away. I think it would have been different if the characters had figured out early what the train was all about and maybe had to work together in order to find a way out, or something along those lines.With twists that don't work because of the title and bad effects most of the time, Train Of The Dead could have been a whole lot better. At least it wasn't a total bust. For being able to watch it on instant watch, I didn't feel real disappointed. I can't really say to go out and find this one though. Despite some cool effects, it just wasn't worth it for those.
2 out of 5 I can't say that I have ever been on a train actually

No comments: