Saturday, November 03, 2012

No Wonder The Nazi's Lost

I'm surprised I got my review in on Halloween, and a movie as well. Even though I didn't move far, less than a mile, there was a lot more kids trick-or-treating here. I was just off a busy road before so maybe that had something to do with it. The city set the hours between 6-8pm. I got some candy, not a lot but a few bags of candy just in case I got some kids showing up. Before the first hour was up I was already out of candy. There was some neat costumes and I enjoyed passing out candy. Next year I will have to get more candy and a bigger bowl. After I turned off my light I managed to get my review done and started to watch The Devil's Rock (2011).

Captain Ben Grogan (Craig Hall) and Sergeant Joe Tane (Karlos Drinkwater) are on a mission on the eve of D-Day. They are in the Channel Islands and their mission is to destroy a gun bunker in order to make Hitler believe that is the direction the attacks will come from. They get to the shore of one of the islands and have to make their way across a mine field. All the while they can hear screams coming from the bunker. Once there they set explosives, but the screams has Grogan a little too curious. Before they can get in though, the bunker opens and out comes a Nazi. He gets sick before he notices the two men, but oddly he seems excited that they are there. Instead of finding out anything, Grogan kills the guy.  Heading into the bunker, they find bodies everywhere. Some bodies look they have been torn apart, while others are dead by their own hand. Eventually they meet Colonel Klaus Meyer (Matthew Sunderland), who has a woman (Gina Varela) captive, but she isn't what she seems and the Colonel will do whatever it takes to keep her there.

The first thing I need to say about The Devil's Rock is that I had a very hard time getting into it at first. I'm not sure why this was the case. I don't know if it was just because I had a long day from work and handing out candy, so was getting pretty tired by this time, or if it was just the film itself. It did start off a little slow, but it did get better for me as it went on. This is a film that doesn't have many cast members. Eventually only three people carry the film. I didn't mind this though since it was around this time that I really started to get into the movie. Up until that point it was just a bunch of screams and dead bodies everywhere. The dead bodies are cool looking, I will give them that, but it just wasn't scary to me at all. Once Matthew Sunderland shows up, things get more interesting. The Nazi's are looking for something in the occult world that will help them win the war. Whatever this woman is, the Colonel doesn't even want to release it into the world. Now things get interesting.

I don't want to say too much about what the woman really is. It isn't all that hard to guess though, and the trailer shows it some, as well as some posters. I didn't know what she was though, and I think that added to the film a lot, so I'm not going to reveal it here. The horror never left the film, but co-writer/director Paul Campion turns the plot more towards a mind game between the woman and the two men. Of course the Colonel knows all about it already, but we learn about it at the same time as Grogan does.

The effects are actually really good. All kinds of dead bodies with guts all over the place and even one with a gun shoved down the throat. The woman in her true form looks surprisingly good as well. It was a nice design that came out well thanks to some good makeup. The acting was pretty good as well. I didn't care for Craig Hall much. Not that his acting was bad, I just didn't care for him much. Gina Varela was pretty good. She had her moments where I didn't like her much, but I thought she did a good as her other self. My favorite was actually Matthew Sunderland. He makes a good bad guy, even though he wasn't the true bad guy here.

Even though I ended up enjoying The Devil's Rock, I still didn't find it to be a great film. It started to get a little corny at times, I thought anyway, and I was getting a little tired of Grogan not trusting Meyer at all. I know they are enemies, and I'm sure I would have a hard time trusting someone I considered an enemy as well. In the situation that they were in though, I would hope I could put that aside and worry about it after. Sure it added some tension early, but was just getting old by the end of the film. Still, if you have yet to check out this New Zealand film (had to throw that in somewhere). It is worth a look.
3 out of 5 Never trust a chained up woman

1 comment:

cattleworks said...

Heather!
Glad you had a good Halloween, trick or treater-wise!
We had a bunch of kids for a short span of time. I went to get some Chinese take-out (a Halloween tradition for my wife and I) and when I came back there weren't too many more visitors at the door.
There's a neighborhood in our small city where there are actually old mansions, and I guess the streets were PACKED with cars and kids there. Lots of candy being passed out there I'm assuming...
NO costumes stood out for me, but I did smile seeing someone wearing a big-ass Charlie Brown
shirt. Old school!
Anyway...

I haven't seen this, but I was curious about it. At some point I've seen this poster either during my travels on the net or maybe they actually have it at my local Family Video. I was wondering if it was worth a look and Mermaid Heather says yes!
It sounds kinda neat that they're mixing in historical situations with the D-Day set-up. HELLBOY also begins in WW II, but the specifics are negligible, I think. Arguably, that may be the case here as well, but I think it's cool that the Nazis' experiments here are stumbled upon accidentally.

Hey, did you get a chance to dress up for the season at all? If so, as what? And of course, is there any photographic evidence.... hmm????