Friday, November 23, 2012

1,000!

Since I don't have much planned for today, I thought I would get my 1,000th post in. Even though it has taken me a long time to get here, especially this year, I'm still shocked that I have gotten this many posts in over the years. I've said it before and I will say it again, I never thought I would still be doing this blog when I first started it. It may not be the most popular blog out there, not even by a long shot, but I'm proud of it all the same. I had a different movie to talk about in mind for this post, but I recently changed my mind about which movie to talk about here. I went with the 1980 film The Fog.

Last weekend I had a special opportunity. It didn't require me to take a day off from work, although I probably should have done that. Last weekend in Indianapolis, HorrorHound Weekend was at it again. This was a very special weekend though since Jamie Lee Curtis was going to be there. I flew in on Saturday, spent about an hour and a half walking around and was done for the day. There wasn't much to do at this one since it was scaled down. There were other guests there as well, all from either Halloween or Halloween II. I had already spent well over $200 for the convention, so I wasn't looking to pick up any extra autographs. I'm taking a risk talking about this since I lied to Dawn, my friend and fellow blogger at Top Horror Movies Club, whom I also got an autograph for. I lied about getting one for her though, so don't go running off to tell her, unless she happens to be reading this. Anyway, my autograph ticket was for Sunday so I messed around until my number came up to be allowed into Jamie's room. Once it was up, I started to go in but noticed the table selling pictures was empty. I asked about it and was told they had sold out and the lady running the table wasn't there to restock it. This put me in panic mode. I didn't bring anything to get signed since I was expecting to get a picture there.

My mind was racing. I didn't remember anyone in the dealer room selling pictures but I did a run through just to be sure. I didn't see anyone there selling pictures so I was trying to figure out what to do. Then I remember that Tom Atkins was there as well and they were in The Fog together. I checked his table real quick and found a few pictures of him and Jamie Lee Curtis together. Now I just needed some extra money to get two autographs. I asked the hotel for their ATM and they said it was out of money but a Circle K had one down the road. So I walked half a block and across a busy street and back. I didn't feel right about asking Tom if I could just buy or take a couple of pictures from him, which is why I decided to just have him sign them. After talking to him for a short while, and getting the autographs, I headed to Jamie's room, which put me near the end of the line by then.

While in line waiting we were told to have everything ready and just get things signed and go. Jamie was trying to get ready to go so she could make her flight out, but wanted to make sure everyone got their autographs at the same time. From what I have been reading, she spent a long time signing over the weekend. Nearly 12 hours Saturday alone. I got to get my stuff signed around 4:45pm and there was still around 50 people behind me. I do believe everyone got through and she did make her flight. However, there was a big difference between what people said about Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was more laid back and people got a chance to talk to Jamie some and got some cool autographs from the sounds of it. Sunday was rushed, get your autograph and move on. I did thank her and she said thank you back, but it would have been nice if I could have said a little bit more. I don't believe in holding up a line when there are people behind me, but at the same time I don't like being rushed through either. I'm not complaining too much. I mean I'm really happy I walked away with an autograph I never thought I would get in person, so there is always that. Since I got a picture from The Fog signed by Jamie Lee Curtis and Tom Atkins, for both Dawn and me, I decided to talk about it here for this post.

I can't say that I have ever called The Fog a favorite movie of mine. I try to pick movies for my 50th posts that I have grown to call a favorite. That being said, I have probably watched The Fog as much or more than, in some cases, the movies I do call my favorites. So maybe I should start calling it a favorite because of that. Thankfully I didn't have to dig out my DVD of it, as it is still in a box from moving. I checked Netflix on a whim and they do have it on their instant watch. Like some of the other films I have done for here for favorites, I probably didn't need to watch it yet again. I like to do that though, just to give my memory a kick start on the film. There is always something I might have forgotten to talk about if I hadn't watched it again.

One of the things that has always impressed me with The Fog was that we rarely get a good look at what is in the fog. If you have never watched this film, I will give a quick summery of the plot here. The small fishing town has now been around for 100 years. As the town is looking to celebrate that fact, some dark secrets about the town back when it was first founded are coming to light. The small town was founded on murder and theft of those murdered. Now on the eve of this, the ghosts of those wronged have come back to get revenge and what belongs to them. The ghosts or zombies, depending on how you want to look at them, return in fog.

It is a pretty simple story really, but it works well. With a cast of Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Atkins, Janet Leigh, Nancy Kyes, and Hal Holbrook (to name a few), you can't really go wrong here. The cast is part of the reason I liked this movie as much as I do. The weird thing for me is there isn't really a main character to it all. The story doesn't revolve around one character at all. There is just a series of characters that do usually manage to work with each other in some way. The effects are kept low key, which was fine really. I think it would have been a little more interesting to see more gore though.

One of the things I have always liked about The Fog was the music by co-writer/director John Carpenter. I thought he did a really good job with the music here. It added a lot to the building tension within the movie. Even though The Fog used to keep me at the edge of my seat wondering what is going to happen, I never found it scary. I guess that is why I don't really consider it a favorite. Even when I was just getting into horror movies, which is when I felt the most scared by them, I still didn't find this one scary to me. Even so, I will usually stop to watch it for a little while if I happen to catch it on TV somewhere.

So that was my adventure last weekend and my 1,000th post. Hopefully my reviews will pick up next year since this has been a bad year as far as that goes. Maybe I will see yet another 1,000 posts. I guess time will tell on that one though. It has been a fun ride, mostly, and I am looking forward to doing more reviews and such. See you all soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, a bizarre contradiction is that although a film may have a high re-watchability factor that doesn`t neccessarily mean that its a good film.

Aaron said...

Congrats on the big one zero zero zero!

cattleworks said...

Holy crap, Heather!
ONE THOUSAND posts! That's phenomenal! And insane! Congratulations!
Even though you debate whether THE FOG is a favorite film or not, I thought your run-down of what you had to go through to get Ms. Curtis' autograph was pretty damn entertaining. Glad it (more or less) worked out.
When I first saw THE FOG when it came out at the theaters, I thought it was interesting that it wasn't that gory. And when I saw Carpenter's ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, I was impressed by his apparent rejection of going for excessive gore, that this was a philosophical thing.
So, I was completely thrown off when I went to see THE THING..!
Very enjoyable post! Looking forward to number TWO thousand!

Zombiedawn said...

I forgot to mention your jaunt across the busy street to the ATM in my post! Thank you, Heather! I love the photo A LOT!